Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Sep 2004 15:04:00 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <j.michael.elliott@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Re: 12v Aftermarket Coolers ? Any Good?
Comments: To: Vince S <gipsyflies@COMCAST.NET>

Vince S wrote:

>Sorry I meant Danfoss from Denmark. Coolmatic is one cooler with these >compressor. There may be other cooler with other compressors that may be >cheaper. > >http://www.waeco.com/pages/products/mk/cmkbov_truck_d.htm > > > Hmmm . . . I'm wanting to learn how to translate deep cycle battery ampere-hour ratings into real world performance, and these reefers seem like a good exercise.

Assume we are using a fully-charged deep-cycle battery, like an Optima, rated at 52Ah (C/2) / 65Ah (C/20) to run the reefer. Also assume its a hot day, 32C. Finally, assume that there is some nicely chilled lager in the reefer that we would hate to see get warm. Here are the data for two of the Danfoss reefers:

Danfoss CDF-35 "incredibly inexpensive" 31 liter model. It is rated at 45 watts, and has an average running time: of 30% at 32C ambient temperature. Its rated power consumption is defined as power input x average running time. For this model, then, we are talking 30% of 45W, or 13.5W ~ 1Ah.

Danfoss CF-25 (not-so-incredibly-inexpensive) -- their smallest model. 25 liters, average power consumption: 35 watts, average running time: 19% at 32C ambient temperature. This translates to 6.7W, ~560mA.

For these two models, then, how long before the compressor stops chugging? --

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 VW Type 2 / 84 Westy: A poor but proud race. KG6RCR