Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Sep 2004 22:35:18 -0700
From:         Damon Campbell <damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] 10K update-2.3 H.O. WBX from Unique Imports
Comments: To: ROBERT DONALDS <donalds1@VERIZON.NET>

Yeah.. umm... that customer was me. And thanks for the engine life upgrade, but it really only lasted 6k, not 8. Main reason for the detonation was that the 2325 (82 stroke, 95 bore) was my first engine build (i have a bad habit of not starting simply). The high compression ratio was from me running out of time and trusting people too much and not checking things for myself.

I had Bob repair my motor, and through talking with him, doing it "right" is waaaay more difficult than doing it my way (i.e. the wrong way). While it lasted, I did have the same driving experience as the previous poster - felt nice and "modern", but not for as long as i would have liked. Learning experience, though. Now, i am breaking in my brand new (drove it home today) slightly smaller engine (82 stroke, 94 bore). Hopefully reliabilty will be waaaaay up, and still be as much fun to drive.

Now i won't say a Hi-Po WBX is a bad idea (a novice got one to work for a little while, anyway), but i think there is still a bit of long-term reliabilty validation people need to figure out. For example, I'm also not sure how keen i am on the 95mm chinese pistons to bump up the displacement. I'd stick with German and lose 1mm.

Now, if any of you big displacement WBX guys want to share tuning tips, i am all ears, as that is my current challenge - tricking the digijet 1.9FI into thinking it is a 2.3. Until i finish my megasquirt FI, that is...

Glad to hear yours is going well, and thanks to Bob for fixing mine!

-Damon

===== '84 Westy (Sparky) w/2.3L WBX (well... it was worth a shot. And now it is.) Vancouver, BC