Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Sep 2004 21:39:21 -0500
From:         Chris <chris@MCCLURKEN.COM>
Subject:      OT FS:1988 Jetta GLi 16v ..long..

This is the second and last time I'll post this to the list. I didn't get too many takers last time and I also left out some important information. If I don't get any serious responses by the weekend it'll be going up on ebay. The car is in Hendersonville, TN (~20 miles NE of Nashville) and I'm asking $500 obo or trades (I'm a curious cat). There's a whole lot of good parts in this car and it's not so far gone that you can't make it nice again, but it will take some work and money.

I unfortunately need to get rid of my Jetta and I wanted to give list members the first look. I would prefer to see the car put to good use, in a Vanagon or to make a hot rod 16v Rabbit or something.

Pics are at http://www.mcclurken.com/gallery/index.php?cat=1

1988 GLi with every option I know of except heated seats 191,000+ miles on the odometer about 20,000 on the rebuilt 1.8l 16v (from a '90 GTI rebuilt at 99,000) It's always had Mobil1 15-50. new clutch, pressure plate, etc no problems with the close ratio 5 speed transmission (there is a seal leak where the cv joints meet the tranny) recent brakes, all discs and pads, flush, etc(not sure how many miles ago) Recaros are in good shape front and back Also new techtonics exhaust, neuspeed sofsport with bilstein hd (less than 1000 miles on exhaust and less than 5000 on the suspension) Teardrops (rims) are in decent shape

The bad: Among other things I forget about... the body sucks...car was rearended before I owned it and the body work done on it wouldn't win any awards, ditto for the repainting. There are little dents and dings all over. (looks decent from a far with a wax job. Easy to see all the problems up close) The headliner is messed up. The a/c doesn't get cold, and the duct work is just plain crappy so that in the winter you'll freeze thanks to just as much cold fresh air getting it and overpowering the heater. There's a short somewhere and the battery drains completely in a day or two. (I suspect the alarm system or just a bare wire somewhere, I have not investigated very much) Needs new tires, alignment, etc

If you bring your own tag (the current tag is expired) you can drive it home. It's always been reliable if nothing else. Cross country might be iffy but anywhere in the SouthEast or MidWest should be fine. If anyone is interested just email me.

Thanks, Chris 85 GL