Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Sep 2004 19:49:43 -0700
From:         Vince S <gipsyflies@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Westy fridge fan on, but fridge is off (I think)
Comments: To: mwstebbins@yahoo.com

I agree that there are fresh air inlets. However for gravity convection heat dissipation generated by the fridge is arranged such that it relies sucking cool air from the floor level and vent via the roof vent. Just look at the bottom of the refrigerator and you know what I meant. There are two alternative solutions:

1) brute force approach - use fan to move air from the floor level through the condensor fins. The Westy factory solution is somewhat this approach. We can improve upon this by working on directing the hot air more efficiently and directly outside instead of stuck in the cabin.

2) create a cool air inlet at the floor level - this is naturally there if the sliding door is open. If the sliding door is closed the solution is to cut a hole behind the fridge. To prevent water from wet season to splash up inside the cabin one will have to fabricate some kind of baffle.

The trade off between the two is 1) is less efficient as it requires forced air induction and 2) cutting a hole into the vehicle floor.

Venting the warm air via the roof vent is a inferior solution though I can understand why we are stuck with it. Someone in VW must decided that they don't want Westfalia to bore that many holes on the driver side. They decided the increase in cabin temperature is acceptable so we suffers camping in the summer.

- Vince

http://gipsyflies.home.comcast.net 1989 Vanagon GL Camper 1993 Mazda Miata (for sale) 1996 Land Rover Discovery 2005 Mini Cooper S

-----Original Message----- From: Malcolm Stebbins [mailto:mwstebbins@yahoo.com] Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 7:04 PM To: Vince S; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Westy fridge fan on, but fridge is off (I think)

This may be true, but 'fresh' air can come in through the climate control vents and the battery compartment, and (depending on year) the vents on the rear side windows. M