Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Sep 2004 08:14:11 -0700
From:         TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: A/C Conversion

Prendergast David <dprendergast@TRIAD.RR.COM> wrote:Need to convert my 84 westy w/ factory rear air over to the new stuff. I was told all I need to do was to replace the receiver dryer and use the refill charger kits you get at the local FLAPS. I now have the receiver dryer (from Bus Depot) and am now trying to figure out where the old unit sits. According to the Bentley it's somewhere around the driver side rear section, but I can't for the life of me see it on the underside of the vehicle. Anybody ever done this or am I fooling myself into thinking it's actually this easy??

Dave _______________________________________________________________

AFAIK, pre-1986 Type II's had dealer installed air conditioning systems, they were not a factory option. The systems ususally came to the dealers in kit form from a couple of different suppliers. A typical location for a receiver dryer is in the left rear wheelwell, but each manufacturer had their own design.

If you are familiar with automotive air conditioning systems, its a pretty easy system to work on provided you have the proper tools. The hard part is determining the condition of the existing system components and replacing, repairing or rebuilding them in order to have a functional and reliable system. Its even harder to find a mechanic with the knowledge (and time) to do this and to be able to do it for a price you would be willing to pay to have it done.

If I was to check out your system I would ask you the following questions: When was the last time that the A/C functioned? Why did it stop working? How much are you willing to pay to have it work?

What I would do is take the van to a good A/C shop and have the system evaluated before proceeding. You can help them by locating all the service valves and removing the necessary panels in order to access them. The Bentley has a A/C component location drawing and yours should be in the same general location. Or find one of the major components (compressor, evaporator or condensor) and follow the hoses. If you chose to work on the system yourself, you will need to do this step anyway. Then discuss options with the mechanic on repairing the system. Don't be suprised if they offer no warranty on their work even if they replace every component in the system and take a large amount of your money. Thats why I chose to invest in the tools and knowledge to work on the system myself, I didn't trust a mechanic to tear apart my rear cabinet in order to access the evaporator.

If you want to tackle it yourself, first evacute the system; if it still has pressure (or will hold a vacuum) that is a good sign. Then replace the receiver dryer and as many o-rings as you can access. These o-rings are located inside the connectors on the hoses where they attach to the various components. This will also give you the opportunity to inspect the components for rust, especially the inlet and outlet ports.

Then you can start the motor, turn the A/C on full cold, fan on high and add a can of freon to the low side fitting. The compressor won't engage until enough pressure is present in the system. If it doesn't engage, you might need to jumper the compressor clutch to get the compressor to operate.

Then its a matter of adding refrigerant until the system produces cold air. How much? I add until low side pressure is 28-32 psi and high side is around 200 psi with 90F ambient temperature. I've converted by Camper and my Wanderlodge to R-134a and both systems perform adequately in Florida weather.

Well I'm off to prepare for Frances, the latest projections show the eye passing about 15 miles south of me. After Charlies change of path, its tough to decide which way to go to get out of the way.

Good luck,

TJ Hannink Goldibox - 1987 Vanagon Camper, Wolfsburg Edition 1981 Bluebird Wanderlodge, FC-33 Winter Park, Florida http://home.earthlink.net/~tjhannink/ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wolfsburg_campers http://photos.yahoo.com/tjhannink [Vanagon] Album FAVOR website: http://home.earthlink.net/~clubvanagon