Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Sep 2004 01:05:16 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re:       vanagon top speed -
               more info
Comments: To: albell@UVIC.CA

In a message dated 9/4/04 12:16:02 PM, albell@UVIC.CA writes:

> The original claim of 112 mph then would be estimated to require 171.9 > hp. To push the van to 115 mph would need 13.4 more hp. > Another's member's claim of 140 kph (87.23 mph) would require 84.5 hp. > To push it to the round imperial figure of 90 mph would require and > additional 7.7 hp. > > I would opine that a stock wasserboxer Vanagon cannot exceed 100 mph on > level ground, and in still air. Safe assumption seeing as the SA 5cyl > couldn't break the 100 mph barrier. > > Alistair,

Been watching this thread with some amusement. I'm reasonably sure that with my current 8V I4 RV Digifant motor, I've licked at the heels of 100 mph but not exceeded the value. The limitation was not due to a lack of power but rather a rev limiter built into the ECU. On several occasions, while tooling through the gawd-awful wastes of west Texas, on my way to the scintillating emporium of Corpus Christi (read here excitement equivalent to participating unwillingly in a root canal) at about 11 PM to 2 AM, I cranked the Westfalia up to 6500 rpm and read 100 mph on the speedo.

As I have indicated before, the BFG 27-8.50x14 tires I was running were rated at 799 revs per mile, while the speedo was calibrated at 801 revs per mile. I found the speedo dead on with any distance timing tests I did on highway runs. In my current state of tune, waiting to finish my Audi turbo (sigh) and running 215/75-15 skins, I notice that I can't go much above 6300 rpm (these tires show 755 revs/mile). This is again just at 100.

These numbers are for the fully stuffed traveling configuration and for the straight and level interstate stretches.

Now one of the reasons I was running at WOT was that I wanted to see the effectiveness of the Mazda RX-7 oil cooler. I expected that the oil temperature would steadily climb. In fact I ran like this for 2 to 2.5 hours with no temp rise compared to the normal 75 mph I typically run on these trips. Those of you familiar with the Digifant system will recognize this as an Italian Tune-up. As I recall, on the route down to Corpus from San Antonio, I also ran flat out but with a high concentration of Techron in the tank to clean the injectors and the combustion chamber. Don't remember the fuel economy for those segments, but I do recall that the Air Conditioner was running just fine!

Of course we should be careful in that all those who know how small engines like these should never run at such high rpms. Longevity you know!

Oh yes, as to the possible noise from the engine ... the family was asleep, and I was listening to Mozart (on headphones). Made good time ... as needed. Must be approaching 150K on this used engine by now. Longevity!

Frank