Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Sep 2004 10:52:39 -0700
From:         Craig Oda <craigoda@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Do I need a HEATED O2 sensor?
Comments: To: Tom Young <tomyoung1@comcast.net>

I think Tom's vehicle failed the CA SMOG once. In CA, there is usually one free retest. The cost of the test itself varies. This year, costs went up to $70 to $80 at test-only centers. :-( That's a lot of cash. Last year there was no dyno and no testing for NO emissions. Times are tougher now, especially in metro areas like the SF Bay area. I think that these older vehicles also fall under the high-emitter profile set by CA DMV. Correct me if I'm wrong. I have not taken my vehicle in for SMOG under the new laws.

I agree about getting the catalytic converter as hot as possible. With the cost of failing the retest (and having to pay another $70 for another test), I think that buying a new cat is a good investment if the current cat is over 10 years old. This assumes that the fuel-air mixture can be adjusted properly.

As far as the original question concerning a single-wire O2 sensor. This is what I have on my '83 waterboxer. I don't think that heating the sensor with the third wire would affect emissions since the O2 sensor is supposed to get to operating temp in under 2 minutes.

Tom, good luck and let us know if you pass emissions. BTW, are you taking the van to a test-only center? Was it designated a gross-polluter after the initial testing, or did it just fall marginally out of spec?

Passing the new CA emissions tests is one of the biggest anxieties I have about owning the Westy and keeping up with the repairs and investments. The problem is that the emissions equipment are unavailable to the home mechanic and many mechanic shops won't work on vanagon emission problems or don't do good work. If my van fails in 2005, I will probably seek out the help of BusLabs in Berkeley. However, this means taking a half-day off from work and loss of some pay. :-( Well, I don't have to worry about this for another year.

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 12:31:09 -0400, Ken Lewis <kdlewis_wasting_time@access4less.net> wrote: > I would make the following changes to you list: > > Drive the vehicle _hard_ for >40 minute on the way to the SMOG test. I don't > know about letting it idle. > > A new catalytic converter will definitely help . I would wait until the > vehicle fails the first smog test before investing in one. > > I always make sure the air filter is new (or clean i.e. K&N). > > I always change the oil _minutes_ before taking the vehicle to be tested. > > Tune-up parts, like plug and wires, cap, rotor, would help. > > > > > > http://www.blueskycleanair.com > > > > > > What I think: > > - O2 sensor must be hot, but usually gets to proper operating temp > > in under 2 minutes > > - cat must be hot to eat the pollutants. Drive 20 minutes on the > > freeway and idle your van while you're waiting for the testing > > - a new cat might help > > - changing oil might help > >