Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:19:15 -0600
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.UALBERTA.CA>
Subject:      Re: Westy  Diesels
Comments: To: danieleyk@yahoo.com
              Daniel Eyk on Thu, 9 Sep 2004 13:40:09 -0700 (PDT))

Personally I would consider the effort to put a VW diesel into a caravan to be too much effort. It is unlikely that standard mounts accessories etc will work. Swapping engines within a particular manufacturer line is much simpler.

You might be interested in knowing that caravans can be had with Diesel engines in Europe. This is also true of just about every other minivan. Again, I would not to this personally, but another possibility would be to buy a used diesel engine with all accessories (incl tranny) and special parts in Europe (around $1000-2000 and ship it to the US (guess: $500 excluding crating fee).

Cheers, Martin

Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 13:40:09 -0700 (PDT) From: Daniel Eyk <danieleyk@yahoo.com>

Hi, I just recently found your website for the Westy Vans and read about your experiences with the diesel in it.

I am interested in either converting something to diesel or buying a used one and have considered using our Dodge Caravan as it has a dead motor. I don't know what the weight comparisons would be, but both our Caravan and the Vanagon are rather boxy in general shape. I was wondering what your opinion would be about the little diesels ability to handle the weight of the Caravan? It is a 2.5 liter 4 cyl. automatic in all stock form. As far as I know, the biggest thing that I would have to do is figure our a adaptor plate and coupler from the flywheel to the input shaft and the right torque converer that would be compatible with a diesel. Any thoughts concerning this possible conversion would be appreciated. Thanks, Dan Eyk