Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:07:53 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: turbo diesel install info
Comments: To: Daniel Stevens <dosteven@SYR.EDU>

I'm having a hard time believing than anyone would intentionally make a Vanagon slower than an Air Cooled.

Stan Wilder More Power with Performance Coatings http://www.engineceramics.com

I'm in the middle of a TD conversion for my 1980 air cooled to 1.6TD with rad and heat.

I'm taking pictures as I go and will let you all know how it ends up in the end. the 1980 body has the front mount mounts, but not the rear, one has to fabricate a rear mount, but there are some stock thru holes and I'll likely be able to remake some after I've hung my engine later.

another area of difficulty is the 1980 has a RUBBER fuel filler insert/restriction that appears to be part of the nozel seal. I think I have to ream/cut the center out with a sharp razor to facilitate the Diesel nozel to fit in the filler neck.

thanks for the website, and I'll forward you a write up and images once i've completed my deadline of Oct1st for Westies @ Watkins.

Dan Stevens. VWCCNY

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:15:36 -0700 From: Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA> Subject:

I've started a collection of info about turbo diesel install. It could be of interest to other I4 installs.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/McTavishPAC/turbodiesel/turbodiesel.html

So far only Wade Yorke's install is listed, but more is on its way. Anyone who has an example they would like to have featured, drop me a line.

Alistair '82 westy, diesel converted to gas in '94