Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Sep 2004 12:55:24 -0700
From:         Ari Ollikainen <Ari@OLTECO.COM>
Subject:      Carat fluorescent fixture causes battery drain...

In my continuing saga to trace and eliminate parasitic current consumers in our '91 Carat it now appears that the culprit and the cause of the chain of events leading to this point is the fluorescent light fixture which someone switched (or attempted to switch on ...) almost two weeks ago when the Vanagon was used to move some stuff from one abode to another. After that point:

1. Squealing alternator belt on startup developed into mostly continuous squeal. First fix - replace belt.

2. Squealing returned... adjusted belt.

3. Squealing returned... removed alternator and checked brushes... brushes worn past max wear point. Replaced regulator. Squealing disappeared.

4. Wouldn't start after several short trips. Examined battery... plenty of water, but dead. Replaced alternator with known good one with working regulator. Jump started. Ran fine...drove it for an hour on the freeway to charge battery.

5. Wouldn't start after sitting in driveway for 4 hours. Replaced battery (previous was 7+ years old DieHard).

6. Several days later wouldn't start after a round-trip drive to SF plus around town trips. Obtained battery charger and used it overnight. Stared and ran fine next afternoon.

7. Dead again next morning. New DMM showed battery with 11.3v. Swapped in fresh battery. Again fine for a day...

8. Not dead but wouldn't start this morning. GRRRR...

So...it was time to find the eater of my electrons. After a lot probing with the DMM (including the requisite measurement of voltage and amps between negative battery post and the ground) I concluded that ~.9amps were being sucked by something that wasn't fused: The Carat's fluorescent lite fixture. Actually, I sort of stumbled into this discovery while checking whether the normal interior lights actually had working bulbs...the fluorescent fixture was hot to the touch and had a slight smell of burned "electronic" components. Taking it apart, the fluorescent tube was burned at one end! Taking the tube out and measuring current flow again resulted in only a 3 mA reading...

I'm leaving the tube out until I get the Carat on the road and then I'll think about replacing it (no one in our family actually uses the fluorescent light...). In the meantime I have plenty of things to diagnose and fix: Central locking system gremlins, passenger side window lift (it went CLUNK! and quit working), power window switches, sliding door locking mechanism...etc.

--

+----------------------------------------------+ | You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape.| | If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. | | If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape. | +----------------------------------------------+