Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Sep 2004 11:34:03 -0700
From:         Jim Thompson <jim@KARMANNGHIA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stuck Solenoid????

More often than not, the ignition switch is not the culprit, but the wiring itself, which while aging will build resistance, prevent a full current flow. A bigger problem with 6 Volt electrics, not so much with 12 Volt electrics, but the problem persists. Starter activation wire failures have always been a constant problem with this flaw with Volkswagens since their inception in the mid 40s when postwar production commenced. It took Bosch 45 years to admit that there can be a problem, noted it in their Rotating Products Catalog in the mid 90s and introduced the WR-1 Starter Relay Kit to help correct it, while the aftermarket on their own zeroed in on the problem decades before with this solution. I have found that even when replacing the ignition switch, the problem persists. My exes: 68 Bug, ex 67 Bus (original owner - me), two 73 Karmann Ghias, 69 Camper, 73 Panel Van, 59 Euro Single Cab Pickup, 61 Panel Van, 62 Bug (original owner - my father), 81 Vanagon, even a 76 Rabbit all eventually were equipped with whatever variation was being produced to "help" the starting circuit. Vanagons are the easiest to test an Ignition Switch - remove the Steering Column Bottom Cover, unplug the harness from the Switch, plug it into a new switch (I always carry a spare) and use a screwdriver to carefully turn on the ignition and starter circuits. If it solves the problem, replace it. If not, reconnect yer old switch and do further troubleshooting.

Replacing the switch can help IF it is the cause of the problem. If the switch is fine, consider the following:

1. If the woven ground strap between the front nosecone of the transmission is wasting away from rust, corrosion, etc., that can definitely be a factor in poor starter performance, as the transmission/engine assembly is not properly grounding. I solved dozens of customer's starting problems over twenty years with this simple inspection. Sure, didn't make a sale on a rebuilt starter that wouldn't have solved their problem in the first place. Replacing that strap most every time sent my customer away with a smile on their face and a lot of times they returned to spend money on something they really did need. Check that strap from time to time to ensure that it is in good shape.

2. If the Switch is new or otherwise OK, the Starter Solenoid is OK, the Tranny Ground Strap is OK, the Battery Cables are OK and the Battery is OK, then consider the starter relay add-on, the WR-1.

I have a link on my website that addresses most starter problems: http://www.oldvolkshome.com/hardstart.pdf

Jack & Tony are both right. But my experience has usually caused me to install a Hard Start Relay on all VWs I've own, past or present. An ounce of prevention is worth.......... :-)

Jim Thompson 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" oldvolkshome@earthlink.net jim@karmannghia.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************** ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jack" <john.cook58@VERIZON.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 12:46 AM Subject: Re: Stuck Solenoid????