Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Sep 2004 18:54:42 -0700
From:         Vince S <gipsyflies@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: The "syndrome" solutions
Comments: To: Larry Alofs <lalofs@RCN.COM>

Larry,

I could be wrong as the ignition on my 89 Vanagon never gave me problem so I am not too up to speed on the exact working principal. Being the hall sensor in the distributor it must also used by the ignition to time the spark plugs in each cylinder while the ECU also use this signal for fuel injection management. How can the hall sensor fail and the engine still run? You will lost ignition or the timing be all over the place in the case of the metal rotor which triggers the Hall sensor is loose from the distributor shaft.

Does your Golf has a separate sensor for the ignition timing generation?

- Vince

http://gipsyflies.home.comcast.net 1989 Vanagon GL Camper 1993 Mazda Miata (for sale) 1996 Land Rover Discovery 2005 Mini Cooper S