Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Sep 2004 20:24:27 -0700
From:         Benjamin Wheeler <bwheeler@NV.SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      '85 fuel probs

Hi VW Gurus out there.

I’ve got an ’85 westy and have been having some problems with it since purchased in 2003. Here are the symptoms:

- hestitations, ¾ power every once and a while – often when it is wet outside – lasts a couple of days, comes on slowly and then gets more power back over the course of a couple of days

- fuel pump making buzzing sound, almost always

- bucking at low rpms (around 2200) – van bucks when accelerating to speed, not at speed (i.e. when under load)

Here’s what I’ve done so far to fix it…

- new tank, new fuel pump, new fuel lines, new filters

- new fuel pressure regulator

- new sparkplugs, wires (x2now), new distributors, rotors, etc.

- checked most wire connections including ignition coil

- added injector cleaner

- (by the way, this van has been overhauled – new heads, transmission, clutch, you name it…)

The new fuel pump started making noises almost immediately after having been replaced (March, 04) – the mechanics didn’t seem to think this is a problem. The old gas tank was a mess of rust so we thought that that was the problem. The hesitation thing is super frustrating as at least 3 different mechanics across Canada couldn’t lick it – and still can’t. The bucking phenomena is new though I fear it is related to the ever increasing sound of the squealing fuel pump.

I don’t have any fancy probes or instruments, pressure checkers etc. to do some sleuthing but would buy some if given some directions on what to buy and how to use them.

I’m pretty sure the hesitation isn’t the ‘intermittent syndrome’ I’ve heard about, as it will slowly come on, over the course of a few days, get really annoying and then leave in the same manner. I just drive through it now.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the hesitation and bucking, noisy fuel pump, are all related to one little gadget that needs replacing – but have no clue at this point!

All help appreciated!

Ben

Benjamin A. Wheeler, M.Sc.

Northern Environmental Marine Organization

Box 1538

Iqaluit, Nunavut

X0A 0H0

ph. (867) 979-3881