Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:04:22 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Trip from Burning Man Part 2
Comments: To: vanagon@egroups.com, limbolist@egroups.com,
          The_Bug_Pack@yahoogroups.com
Comments: cc: simsil@primus.ca, lryan6@cogeco.ca, BusFusion@aol.com,
          43king@rogers.com, jodyb@thenewro.com, gedge@sympatico.ca,
          madstan@sympatico.ca, h.brouwer@sympatico.ca,
          cathy.greg@sympatico.ca, madbernie@sympatico.ca,
          tonynalves@hotmail.com, alves_mandy@hotmail.com,
          lavigneandre@hotmail.com, sxe_surferchick@hotmail.com,
          antonio.alves@city.ottawa.on.ca, catherine.ashley@ccra-adrc.gc.ca,
          Simon.Rivers-Moore@city.ottawa.on.ca, cookiequ@nb.net,
          mbiggs@houston.rr.com, judylaronde@hotmail.com, izab22@yahoo.ca,
          wscemc@bellsouth.net, thymeoff@hotmail.com,
          larry_avery.johnson@SYMPATICO.CA, lchase@attglobal.net,
          getmetobrazil2002@yahoo.com, bcshorten@sympatico.ca,
          Arasso@yahoo.com, RoxySistah15@aol.com,
          tony.smith@gasmithsurveying.ca, berncod@hotmail.com,
          thebern@rogers.com, sib@sympatico.ca, bonapace@bonapace.com,
          dhec@cyberus.ca, stevens@trytel.ca, ejmanningsfolly@bellnet.ca,
          msvdp@sympatico.ca, ve3jr@magma.ca, almost26@charter.net,
          alexsandra_trofka@hotmail.com, roadguy@roadhaus.com

Leaving Las Vegas was easy ! We lost all of $3 in the slots and could not get the gondola ride that Rita had wanted at the Venetian. We spent our evening riding the city bus up and down the Great White Way, getting off at Paris and Venetian. It was late after our diner at the Circus-Circus Buffet and all the shops and rides were closed. Only things operational were the slots......yikes ! It had been too hot in the afternoon to do any sight seeing and we could not leave Joubie in the van alone, we would have come back to a roasted dog ! It was over 110 F in the van that afternoon ! We went back to our campers, had a beer and crashed. In the morning we find Ina's bike had been stolen, maybe this is a good thing, it is now easier to get to her engine ! We head off to Phoenix and to meet up with Karl & Stephanie Woltz. Ina has a friend in Winkenburg and decides to stay there for a few days and have Karl and his mechanic get all the problems with her van sorted out. We get to Karl's about 7 pm and finally meet the folks I have communicated with over the last few years over the Internet. It was Karl & I who were instrumental in bringing the Vanagon List sticker to fruition. We sit around and get to know each other, Karl shows us his fleet of Vanagons, we have some cold beers, eat some shrimp and eventually go off to sleep in his driveway. Saturday, Karl and I busy ourselves getting some oil and a valve cover gaskets. I change the oil, filter and left side valve cover gasket, good to go for another 5000 miles. Our westy is still running strong with no problems, thanks to Boston Bob & myself ! Karl & I bake in the hot Phoenix sun while Rita and Stephanie are out shopping. Out for a Mexican diner that evening then to the car wash to get all the Burning Man Playa dirt off the Westy. Thursday morning we have a great breakfast prepared by our hosts, take some photos and head off to Tucson to meet up with Larry "Roadhaus" Chase. Thanks, Stephanie & Karl for a great time in Phoenix, hope the birthday party for Stephanie was a success and we are sorry we could not stick around ! We find Larry at the Walmat off the I-10 coming into Tucson, make plans to go camping and head off east. Stopping in Tombstone for a leasurily lunch, jewlery shopping (again), and I back into a pole which wrecks my bike rack so have to take an hour or so to repair that. Larry and I get into "real" trouble at the Tombstone Saloon and Rita took the pics to prove it. You'll see in the batch of Pics I will sent along when I finish with this note. Leaving Tombstone we arrive in Bisbee for a quick tour and run into the Bisbee Red Dress Runners, hey what ? See the Pics for more details ! Get outa there and off to our camping destination at Chiricahua National Monument. We arrive there around 6, set up camp in a beautiful forested campsite with cactus, towering rock mountains just like in all the Cowboy and Indian movies I've seen in the past. Rita and Larry make a great supper while I get the slide show of Burning Man Pics rolling on the laptop for Larry to see. We catch up on his ramblings since leaving Ben in Montreal with a new engine and borrowed tranny. All seems to be working well now. He's still looking for a job so if any of you got a position to get this guy off the streets and into the rat race with the rest of us give him call NOW ! More beers, more Vanagon talk, off to sleep at a much more comfortable temperature. Rita and I actually use the covers this nite. In the mooring we make ourselves coffee, lounge around 'till 11 and decide we should get on the road to Texas. Larry heads on up the mountain for some wilderness spot that Rita want's no part of (gravel, sand, no guard rails). Rita and I head for the I-10 and Texas. The I-10 turns into another one of those monotonous rides best left to the mirade of truckers zooming past us all day in the 100 degree heat ! Just as we enter Texas at Anthony there is a Flying J and we decide that's enough. I park and crash for an hour in the back seat. Rita takes Joubie out for a spin around the parking lot. We eventually have some burgers and beer despite the huge signs saying "It is a crime to consume alcoholic beverages on these premises" ......... bullsh**........ enough of that nonsense. I get on the internet to write and send this message. Tomorrow we will go off towards Houston and Kemah, Texas where we will meet up with my sister Maria, her husband Al and son Brian Get the beer cold and keep the door open !

To all those not able to see our Pics on AOL, I'm sorry. When I get home I will fix that problem, no time to do anything now.

Anyone who is able to forward all my messages and Pics links to Mark Steven at the Almonte General Hospital, Bruce perhaps ? please do so. Somehow the address _stevens@trytel.ca_ (mailto:stevens@trytel.ca) is bouncing.

Peace and Love to you all !

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 09 ~ 12, 2005 '87 Westy, '90 Carat & Lionel Trains Member: _Vanagon List_ (http://www.vanagon.com/) , _LiMBO_ (http://www.bcn.net/~limbo/) , _IWCCC_ (http://www.westfalia.qc.ca/) &_ CCVWC_ (http://www.ccvwc.ca/) Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley_STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Mufflers_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm) _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) or http://frankcondelli.com