Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Sep 2004 11:31:36 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Observations on my Westy (6 cylinder conversion)

This previous weekend I had the pleasure to drive from Washington DC to PIttsburgh Pennsylvania. I chose to use I-68 through western Maryland and West Virginia (I hate the PA turnpike). I-68 has some impressive hills (6% grade for 13 miles as an example). My 6 cylinder (SVX) converted Westy handled these without any problems (and I think surprised a bunch of folks in other vehicles on this road.)

Now that I've driven on I-68 (still haven't yet done Corridor H in WV) I can say that I'm totally pleased with the performance on this engine conversion. The Appalachian mountains aren't very tall, but we've got grades on the roads that rival anything out west. I know prior to my conversion how much I hated poking along in 3rd gear in the right lane. Now I don' t have to.

Now with fall approaching it is time to work on getting that propex heater installed. :)