Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:26:05 -0400
From:         Daniel Stevens <dosteven@SYR.EDU>
Subject:      Re: turbo diesel install info
Comments: To: wilden1-1@sbcglobal.net

I see your point Stan, but theres a few that are specific to me being the owner

I've never comtemplated resale, I don't like to sell that which I've spent years acquiring, maintaining and designiong to my needs.. yes I have other toys, and vans in the yard.. most run.. some await their time in the sun.. while sleeping in my barn/garage..

the problem i had with the AC motor was an overheat on a warm humid day because the timing was off and the heaters were disconnected running a 009 and no EGR. all spelled knock&ping which either burnt a valve or broke the rings.. (still starts and runs albeit low compression). NEVER disconnect EGR, HEaters, or goto 009 in an AC van engine.. the AC vans could possibly benefit from waterinjection (which I'll look into at some point)

now that all aside.. I wouldn't change the AC over if it's in top shape it ran the van just fine.. I was happy and content.. but the burnt engine gave me the Opp to install the parts I've accumulated for the past decade.. (i've been in this frame of mind a long time, with plans to TD my baja.. but now it'll go into my 1980)

my 1.6TD quantum motor pulled home my brothers Diesel van on a tow dolley (agreed VERY unsafe) over a short distance @ highway speeds of 60mph, I don't doubt it'll move the van alone at 70-75 as claimed by others.. the quantum was bought and driven for it's motor, but long term was transplant from the beginning. dead clutch meant I kept the motor out and drove on a 1.6NA for the remainder of that winter SLOWLY...

I've always had a interest in turbos and intercoolers. I have a large variety from a decade of Junkyard diving sitting nicely on shelves... well not soo nicely.. sitting they're happier all spooled up.

so this van is a final culmination of at least a decades worth of ideas, research, diesel driving fun (have owned many NAs and TDs) a few various methods of engine adaptation (diesel conversion parts, KEP 15' adapter, Formula Vee 0' adapter) and a shop with more then a few engines awaiting rebirth.. after the camper the syncro gets a new heart. i'm not sure yet if it'll be 2.2 Turbo 5cyl (likely intercooled as well), my other 1.6TD, or my digifart 1.8 that seems to have a lot of pull in my 89 jetta WE..

but i'm leaning towards the 2.2Ti 5cyl, sounds like more fun..

ohh and they're NOT 4sale. same as my baja I've owned for 16+years (half my life)

if you have a lot of toys you need a bigger toy chest, restore an old farma nd barn 8-)

Dan Stevens Syracuse NY VWCCNY >>> "Stan Wilder" <wilden1-1@sbcglobal.net> 9/13/2004 11:07:11 AM >>> All that diesel and propane sounds very interesting but personally I spent thousands over a period of several years getting my Westy into condition to make the 3000 - 6000 mile round trips I wanted to make a couple of times a year. In ten years of ownership I never started a trip I didn't complete. Never needed to be towed anywhere and never had a mechanic to assist me or repair anything. The old stocker Air Cooled handled the small mountains in New Mexico and the long straights of Florida and the Texas Panhandle without ever having any problems other than fighting headwinds at 55 mph or laboring up some small mountains. I just don't see you coming out with anything twice as good for a really big investment of time and money and owning a really scary machine at resale time.

Stan Wilder More Power with Performance Coatings http://www.engineceramics.com