Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:36:03 -0700
From:         Craig Oda <craigoda@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: My first trip in the hand painted westy - shifting/clutch
              problems
Comments: To: William Alexander <william@idzyn.com>

William, There appears to be the official method of fixing the problem of gas leaking from the expansion tanks and there is a possible quick hack that doesn't involve dropping the gas tank.

I used the official method which involves draining the tank, dropping it and replacing all the rubber with a seal kit and 5mm hose.

The quick hack involves taking the front wheels off, jacking the van up and reaching up over the hubs to just change the 5mm hose and whatever other bits you can reach.

I haven't tried this method, but when I dropped my tank, the only bits that were leaking were the 5mm hose sections, not the grommets. So, if I were to do it again, I would try the 5mm hose replacement first and see if it stopped the leaking.

Your mileage may vary. Jero, BenT's buddy from Van-O-Rama, clued me in on this hack.

BTW, did you paint your van? It looked very distinctive in the pictures.

Regards, Craig

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 13:55:43 -0400, William Alexander <william@idzyn.com> wrote: > Hey folks, > > This weekend I tool the g/f and the westy on the road to Shenandoah > National Park and then on to the Redskins game. My first trip of any > substance in the new van and I learned a couple of things - one is that > I need to do the "drop the tank and replace the grommets" repair, as > after filling up at one place I looked under the van to see gas pouring > off of the tank. The second is this: On day two I began having an > increasingly hard time shifting into first and second gears. I've > searched the archives and it looks like I probably either have 1) a > leaking/bad slave cylinder, 2) a leaking/bad master cylinder or 3) low > hydraulic fluid. The archives are well versed in this problem - so > please resist the urge to post to the list with suggestions etc. But I > am hoping to find a person or two who has troubleshooted and repaired > this problem themselves so that I might know who to ask if I run into > difficulty. If you've had the same tough-shifting into 1st and 2nd > problem and fixed it yourself, please pmail me if you wouldn't mind > lending some advice. > > Also picked up some nice hubcaps from and got a good look at Ron's > beautiful '87 in Lynchburg. Thanks Ron! > > William in Roanoke, Va > > Needing some sort of clutch work on my... > > '87 Westy! Brand New! > > homepage.mac.com/william_idzyn/vanagon/ >