Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Sep 2004 01:03:26 -0700
From:         Craig Oda <craigoda@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Van Update and fuel pressure gauge report

Since so many people on this list have helped me fix my van over the past few years, I thought I would give an update on the status of the van. Well, the tranny problem and fuel/air mixture problem appear to have been resolved. I'm getting over 18mpg with an automatic tranny on a 1.9L waterboxer. If people remember, I got as low as 5mpg on one trip to a campsite in Sonoma when my O2 sensor was causing big problems. I upped this to 12mpg when I disconnected the sensor and upped the mpg to 18 when I adjusted the Air Flow Meter spring and reconnected the O2 sensor. Drove fine to San Francisco on Saturday for Van-O-Rama. Thanks to BenT for organizing an awesome event. It was great! Nice people and nice vans. I drove down to Manressa Beach south of Santa Cruz on Sunday, caught some waves, then drove north to Half Moon Bay to get hit the beach up there. Highway 280 was just paved and the weather was especially fine in the SF Bay area.

Fortunately, there are still minor problems with my van that I can tweak to fight the boredom of overly beautiful California weekends. I've still got a slight misfire and now my exhaust is making strange noises. Sounds like part of the catalytic converter may have gone into the muffler and possibly an exhaust gasket leak. I'm not sure about the source of the misfire. Might be lifter related.

One interesting bit of info. I was checking fuel pressure with a cheap JCW gauge and found that the gauge was faulty. I verified this by tapping two gauges into the fuel system and running the gauge simultaneously. the 2nd gauge was a mechanical gauge constructed from a water pressure gauge. Once I verified that the electronic gauge and mechanical gauge were different, I used a potentiometer to measure the resistance values of the JCW gauge. I found out that the gauge used 0-100 ohms, with 100ohms corresponding to 100psi. Neat, but the sender wasn't adjusting the resistance properly. Worse, the sender resistance was varying, resulting in varying pressure readings on the gauge.

I swapped in a VDO sender and gauge and now the fuel pressure seems to be steady at 31 psi. Seems to be a little high, but I'm not concerned about it right now. If I pinch off the vacuum hose to the pressure regulator, the pressure does rise to atmospheric.

Lesson: buy good quality guages when they monitor engine health

Regards, Craig