Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:30:19 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: engine noise - hydraulic lifter damaged?
Comments: To: Darryl Carpenter <dcarp@HURONTEL.ON.CA>

Most likely a case of classic "Vanagon Clattering Lifter Syndrome". It is the result of the lifter losing it's prime. Scarey, but generally not threatening. May occur on any Vanagon engine, but seemingly occurs more often with engines that lack the following:

Mann or Mahle Oil filter ---- has a bypass relief valve sufficiently strong to hold pressure in the oil galleries when the engine is shut down.

20W50 Wt Dino Oil or 15W50 Mobil 1 Synthetic ( or Castrol Synthetic).

If these two are not present, then often the oil galleries bleed down allowing the lifter to lose pressure and bleed down. On next start up the lifter will clatter like crazy until it pumps up again in about twenty minutes or twenty miles.

To fix, add a quart of Marvels Mystery oil to the engine oil, then operate for a hundred miles then drain the oil, install the new filter, and put in the new oil. This works most times. My own engine - a WBX 2.1L - is highly sensitive to WHEN the oil is changed. If I don't do it on time - so many miles per oil change, then the lifters clatter, even with the special filters and oil. But the Special filters and oil helps, and it is rare that I get the clattering. I'm just particular about when the oil is changed.

Good Luck.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver