Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Sep 2004 18:11:56 -0700
From:         Matthew <mpteleski@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Daring Daylight Rescue!!
Comments: To: TDI <tdi-conversion@yahoogroups.com>,
          turbovans <turbovans@yahoogroups.com>,
          VangaonDiesel <diesel-vanagon@yahoogroups.com>,
          wetwesties wetwesties <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>,
          AudiDiesel <audi-vw-diesels@yahoogroups.com>

I'm cross posting this by the request of the author. Hehehehehehehe. Others are encouraged to follow his example if you are in a similar situation, or know a friend in a similar situation. -mp

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:29:40 -0600 From: Simon Reinhardt <simon@farrside.net> Subject: Daring Daylight Rescue!

Greetings Volks! I am pleased to announce that Steve & Jo Ann Wacker have recovered their syncro from Ken Morgan & the former company known as Euro Cars! If you are unfamiliar with this story, it's in the archives. Several people have been on the lookout for Ken for some time now- when he was spotted driving in Aurora, CO, it gave additional impetus to find him. Finally, the blindingly obvious solution was thought of- search the CO Secretary-of-State's website! The 'site revealed all: On 2 December 2003, Kenneth Morgan incorporated "Euro Motor Supply, Inc.", located at: 12445 E. 39th St. #306 Denver, CO 80239

This address is in a small industrial/commercial office park on 39th, just East of Peoria St. It's the third building back. Ken was not present during the recovery operation. The police were summoned, to keep everything legal, and then AAA came with a flatbed. The Van was towed to a safe house for debriefing. :) As soon as the Van was securely loaded, Jo Ann contacted Ken by phone- how she got the # is a different story- and they agreed to meet before the Wackers left town. The details of that meeting are not mine to tell- ask Steve or Jo Ann! They are funny details. The bad news: after Ken had this Van for... what, 2 years?... and had been paid quite a bit of $$ up front, and had actually mentioned to another customer that this Van was "99% done"... well, it should come as no surprise to any of Ken's customers what had really happened: The Van's engine & transmission & skid plate are gone, scavenged no doubt for use in another Van; some various parts belonging to the Van are haphazardly tossed inside, along with a bunch of parts from other vehicles, and no small amount of trash; and the battery is missing. That's it. Perhaps Ken had meant the Van was 99% disassembled.

Euro Motor Supply is definitely built on the ashes of Euro Cars. Through the front windows, I was able to see most of Euro Cars' old office equipment, and many, many parts & parts bins that had my own writing on them (but that's another story).

Some photos: http://www.farrside.net/vanagon/lineup.jpg From the white Jetta on the right, to the old, parts-filled U-haul trailer on the left (blocked by that trunk lid), this all seems to be Ken's. The blue van in the center is Steve & Jo Ann's. The Astro to the left of it is Euro Cars' old tow vehicle (seriously!), and the brown van is probably one of Ken's own.

http://www.farrside.net/vanagon/safe.jpg Triumph!

Finally, while we're on the topic of Euro Cars- I did casual work for Ken, including customer correspondence, a couple of years ago. I stopped associating with him in disgust over how I felt I had been used in that capacity. Based on my email since being ignored by several listmembers, notably a certain high-profile traveller, I have come to the conclusion that Ken laid a lot of blame at my feet for his own actions after I left. If any of those people would care to email me directly for my side of the story, I would appreciate the chance to set the record straight. Thank you.

-Simon Reinhardt