Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Sep 2004 22:07:28 -0400
From:         Rick Sherrod <rick@TEUTONIX.COM>
Subject:      Re: VERY hot exhaust issues

Saw this on a Rabbit once. The Rabbit had an electronic ignition and the little round "key" that locks the hall sender trigger cage to the distributor shaft was missing. The trigger was spinning around in relation to the shaft causing all kinds of early and late sparks, but the rotor was always pointed to the correct plug so the engine ran. The entire exhaust glowed like a jet engine afterburner. Inside your distributor see if the silver trigger cage spins freely on the distributor shaft. If it does, you can make a round "key" out of almost any very small nail without taking the distributor apart.

If you don't see a problem with the trigger cage you need to check the ignition timing.

Rick Sherrod Macon, GA www.teutonix.com