Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Sep 2004 22:39:43 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Photo of Fast Forward's prototype Vanagon ALH [TDI]
              Conversion Kit
Comments: To: Vince S <gipsyflies@COMCAST.NET>

Behind the intercooler is the vent that goes up the side of the van. I did back to back tests with a Jetta III TDI (AHU engine) and a Vanagon Syncro with an AHU and the intercooler is just as effective in the Vanagon at that location as the Jetta III. My TriStar has a Permacool fan behind the intercooler that forces a LOT of air though the intercooler and it is MORE efficient than the original Jetta III application. I seldom see temps over 60C on the longest hills with my setup. Without the fan temps around 70 to 75C can be seen momentarily on LOT and STEEP hills. 99% of the time it is within the spec called for by the TDI engine.

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel-Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models

Due to the large volume of email we receive, PLEASE include previous emails when responding. This will allow us to read the complete dialogue in one message and will result in quicker and more accurate responses.

Dave,

Isn't the radiator looking thingy on the left the intercooler? Should it not be cooled by a ducted air stream or forced air with some sort of fan? I don't know how much air flow is in the engine bay of the Vanagon in motion.

- Vince

http://gipsyflies.home.comcast.net 1989 Vanagon GL Camper 1993 Mazda Miata (for sale) 1996 Land Rover Discovery 2005 Mini Cooper S

Volks, I know there are a few people out there awaiting the full engine conversion kit for the 1999 to 2003 ALH TDI Engine to be ready. Here is a photo of a prototype installation in a customer's 2WD Westfalia.

http://www.FastForward.ca/VanagonConversion/alhprototype.jpg

The kit is *not* ready yet as there are still some improvements to be made - those with a sharp eye will see that the EGR system is missing from this install. The final version will have an EGR valve in order that people who have to pass emission tests will be able to. I think the final kit will be ready in early 2005.

I am quite impressed with the ALH motor over the 1Z / AHU, it seems smoother and it seems to have more power too - today I drove a 2km 8% grade in 4th at 110km/h with stock gearing and stock tires - I have never done this in a Vanagon before. It is also a lot less cluttered than the 1Z / AHU as well. To see a typical 1Z / AHU installation see:

http://www.FastForward.ca/VanagonConversion/PicturesAHU/ComponentLocatio ns.j pg

Comments, suggestions are always welcome!

Internet: www.fastforward.ca Email: sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160