Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Sep 2004 21:42:51 -0500
From:         Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Disappearing Coolant - Head Leak?-Engine Oil Viscosity!
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>

Dennis: Well put (as you always do!) Empirical data would certainly show this to be true. Stan Wilder used to talk about all the 2.1 Vanagons he'd see in Texas junkyards with rods hanging out of the cases. I'd say nearly HALf the 2.1's I see on ebay say they have bad oil pressure sensors, but it's only a $6 part. Right. I probably made some horrible mistake putting my 87's engine together back in 1998. (Ground the crank, used resized 1.9 rods, etc) but had oil pressure problems within a few hours. Found a lot of aluminum swarf in the oil filter for several changes (probably part of my oil pump). I just grounded out the wire to the high pressure oil switch and put in STRAIGHT WEIGHT 40 Shell oil. That was 50k miles ago. And not all easy ones either. I once covered 87 miles in one hour in the mountains of Pennsylvania. Some smartass in a Honda Oddessey, went blasting by me, I thought I'd try to keep up. I can verify that the speedo needle WILL touch 100 before the rev limiter cuts in at 5400. I'm SURE it was downhill, it was dark and I couldn't tell, but it had to be. I do give it an easy warm up when it's cool. When the starter will no longer crank it (about 25F, if I remember, I change it for Mobil 1 15w-50). But mostly this $1.25 Shell 40w works pretty good. Good point about the archaic engineering. Anyone who'd seen a 1938 KDF engine would recognize it instantly! Al Brase 69 double cab, 87 Vanagon, others