Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:58:35 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Trip from Burning Man Part 3
Comments: To: vanagon@egroups.com, limbolist@egroups.com,
          The_Bug_Pack@yahoogroups.com
Comments: cc: simsil@primus.ca, lryan6@cogeco.ca, BusFusion@aol.com,
          43king@rogers.com, jodyb@thenewro.com, gedge@magma.ca,
          madstan@sympatico.ca, h.brouwer@sympatico.ca,
          cathy.greg@sympatico.ca, madbernie@sympatico.ca,
          tonynalves@hotmail.com, alves_mandy@hotmail.com,
          lavigneandre@hotmail.com, sxe_surferchick@hotmail.com,
          antonio.alves@city.ottawa.on.ca, catherine.ashley@ccra-adrc.gc.ca,
          Simon.Rivers-Moore@city.ottawa.on.ca, cookiequ@nb.net,
          mbiggs@houston.rr.com, judylaronde@hotmail.com, izab22@yahoo.ca,
          wscemc@bellsouth.net, thymeoff@hotmail.com,
          larry_avery.johnson@SYMPATICO.CA, lchase@attglobal.net,
          getmetobrazil2002@yahoo.com, bcshorten@sympatico.ca,
          Arasso@yahoo.com, RoxySistah15@aol.com,
          tony.smith@gasmithsurveying.ca, berncod@hotmail.com,
          thebern@rogers.com, sib@sympatico.ca, bonapace@bonapace.com,
          dhec@cyberus.ca, stevens@trytel.ca, ejmanningsfolly@bellnet.ca,
          msvdp@sympatico.ca, ve3jr@magma.ca, almost26@charter.net,
          roadhaus.com.alexsandra_trofka@hotmail.com

Back on the road in Texas. We left Anthony and headed off down the I-10 across Texas. Stopping into visit downtown El Paso, "just because" and a quick trip in to Jaurez, Mexico, again "just because" ! Jaurez is a pretty sad place and we see many crossing the bridge on foot and vehicle trying to get into El Paso to work and shop for the day. Looks bizarre to us but then we must look bizarre to them with our Westy all decked out in travelling gear. We decide there's not much happening here and we would rather get on the road to Houston and my sister's. The drive across Texas is long and monotonous, a steady 120 km/hr and just a bit of steering needed. Easy to doze off as it is boring, boring, boring. The only point of interest I remember is the windmill farm we pass. Hundreds of giant windmills up on a plateau just before getting into Junction where we spend our second nite at the Junction City Park on the Llano, River. Nice spot if your crossing Texas and looking for a free camping spot. Really good barbecue at Lums Barbecue on main Street. Have a leisurely barbecue diner and try to get some TV but no luck so we stick in a Laurel & Hardy movie we picked up for 99 cents back the road somewhere. Tuesday morning we pack up and get ready to roll again. On the way outta the park we spot a Vanagon Westy with parts hanging out. A nearby garage leads us to the story of a travelling Australian mountain climber who blew his motor here some six months prior. They had just gotten a new AVP motor and were about to begin installation. They tried to persuade me to stick around and help. I declined, "I'm on vacation". I wished them good luck and off we went down the I-10 again. At Boerne, just before San Antonio, we get off the I-10 on Hwy. 46 for some diversity. We follow that to just west of Houston were we decide the best way through Houston to Kemah, which is on the coast, is on the Intestates. We make it trough the rush hour traffic without any scars and arrive at my sister's where COLD beer and HOT showers await. It's now 7 pm and we have a great reunion, meal at a "real" table and sleep in a "real" bed ! Thanks sis !

PS.......All pics of our trip to, at and from Burning Man are now on a more user friendly site, _Burning Man '04_ (http://burningman04.jiddware.com/) , courtesy of JD Foster. JD thanks for doing this, much appreciated by myself and others.

PSPS..........We did not get any blow from Ivan here in Kemah. Also looks like New Oreleans, our next stop, has been spared so we will be on our way there in a few more days. Ina is still back in Phoenix and should be ready to roll today or tomorrow. Oil leak was found to be the rear main seal that Rocky did not install correctly and the altenator bracket stud looks to have been broken for a long time, probably before the motor got into Ina's van. The starter just needed replaced and the electrical gremlin is still being sought.

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 09 ~ 12, 2005 '87 Westy, '90 Carat & Lionel Trains Member: _Vanagon List_ (http://www.vanagon.com/) , _LiMBO_ (http://www.bcn.net/~limbo/) , _IWCCC_ (http://www.westfalia.qc.ca/) &_ CCVWC_ (http://www.ccvwc.ca/) Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley_STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Mufflers_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm) _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) or http://frankcondelli.com