Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Sep 2004 02:33:11 -0500
From:         Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shifting Shudder Part II
Comments: To: Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@worldnet.att.net>

Karl: Sent the last one too soon. Yeah, I did too, replace all that stuff. Bad science. I'll never surface another flywheel unless I can hook a fingernail on the grooves. Only the pressure plate if I believe it's lost spring pressure. ALWAYS grease the pilot bearing, sometimes change it. Pretty much always change the t.o. bearing, they are so cheap and kinda hard to tell what the parts inside look like! Change the mounts if they are broken. Somehow, I've had actually better a better record of success with a somewhat less than anal policy of replacing parts. Kinda hard to say why exactly. At least partly due to the poor quality of SOME replacement parts. True, almost everything original ( and parts from the dealer) are the best quality. Maybe sometimes my clumsiness has compromised the perfectly good replacement parts I just put in. Overall, I adhere to the "not broke-don't fix it" philosophy. I'll still never run out of things to fix. Not in 3 lifetimes! Al Brase 69 doublecab, Vanagons, 2 splitties, other projects