Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:36:08 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      Re: 2.1 airflow repair/mod?

I also found the tube to be damaged on my '86. It was crushed and torn near where it attaches to the tube on the air cleaner side. I currently am running without it in place. It is a little louder now. Surprisingly, I have noticed no power improvement. I am guessing that the constriction would have been more evident at higher rpms, where I rarely go. Edward

At 08:55 AM 9/17/2004, you wrote: >I had exactly the problem you describe with my conversion. On the second >day of a 3000K maiden voyage I suddenly lost power and could only manage >35mph uphill, and 60, after a long acceleration period on the flats. The >problem was the tube itself collapsing under the extra vacuum of the I4 >engine. I was rather mystified for a fix until I pulled the air filter and >saw all the foil and carboard that had been sucked in. > >I replaced the tube with a generic air intake tube purchased at a Canadian >Tire store for about $10. You'll need to pull the engine vent grille and >remove the "snorkel" so you can clamp on the new tube.