Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Sep 2004 08:19:09 -0700
From:         Joseph Fortino <fortino1@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Making a Vanagon Short Shift Adapter

All,

I'm not plugging only one vendor, but volks cafe has the shifter on there site, little diffrent design then mine but it looks almost the same.

Joe

-----Original Message----- From: BenT <syncro@GMAIL.COM> Sent: Sep 17, 2004 12:29 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Making a Vanagon Short Shift Adapter

Steve,

There is a kit available in the UK made with exactly the material you speak of. The plate is just used as a giant washer. The only tricky part about building this is finding the 10mm (?) coupling/tall hex nuts. The rest can be found at your local hardware store. If there's a Tap Plastics store near you, they sell remnants suitable for this application for a few bucks. Unfortunately, most tall hex nuts found in local hardware stores in the US are SAE and not metric like the Vanagons nuts. They can be special ordered from hardware suppliers though.

Don't try this at home. For academic discussion only. You make one yourself, you accept liability if it fails. I only use mine offroad. =)

BenT http://members.aol.com/bentbtstr8/myhomepage/index.html

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 21:24:37 -0700, Steve Young <sja_young@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi All, > > I'm not sure if this has been tried before. I've been looking at the short shift kit advertised on the Volkscafe home page.http://volkscafe.com/images/1030702019.jpg has an enlargement. I'm thinking of making a shim piece using the same technique that the chap here used to fix a saggy butt, http://www.knology.net/~vw/vanagon/sag/. With a a polyethylene chopping board in theory I could make something fairly tall so that it would be possible to have a longer gear stick and a shorter shift. I hope to give it a try in a couple of weeks for the sake of the experiment if nothing else. If anyone else has tried something similar I'd value hearing about their experience.