Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:10:19 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Exhaust Pipe Question

>> << These Danish made pipes are direct >> copies of the originals and have the same fit and quality as >> what the dealer sells, but for much less money. >>

> Stop propagating this hogwash because it is simply not true. > I'm on my 4th van... I've used both factory and aftermarket > and the aftermarket pipes can't even smell what VW sells. > Sure the VW pipes cost more. But then, you only get what > you pay for.

Then we disagree, although I would not be so rude as to call your opinion "hogwash" even if I do not share it. I am genuinely sorry to see that your time away from the list has not tempered your sharp tongue, George. Differences of opinion can be voiced in civil and respectful tones, and generally have been in your absence.

In my experience (with far more than four vans, incidentally), the Dansk/Jopex pipes generally hold up as well as the OE ones do. No they are not identical, but neither have I seen a significant difference in terms of overall reliability. Or, to put it differently, they suck equally. The North American spec Vanagon exhaust system is convoluted at best, with lots of piping over a short distance. This is the price we pay for the required use of a CAT converter and fuel injection; the European market got a far simpler setup (more like the old style Beetle muffler), because no CAT was required. Because of this design, they are prone to stress cracking over time. Also because of this design, they can be a bitch to install, which is why many generic muffler shops run screaming from the building when they see a Vanagon pull up. If any of the pipes, mounts, etc. bend or tweak over time, then when you remove the old exhaust system the whole thing tends to "spring" to the position that it wants to go to. This can make it a challenge to line up the replacement parts (whether OE or aftermarket), especially if you are mixing new with old. Anyone who has done Vanagon exhaust has experienced the joy of this. A good pry bar, an acetylene torch, lots of patience, a bit of cursing, and a cold beer waiting in the fridge can often be prerequisites for doing Vanagon exhaust no matter whose pipes you use.

But as for fit between the dealer and aftermarket pipes and muffler, I have compared them side by side, and the bends and dimensions from flange to flange are the same. If you are cursing at your Dansk pipes trying to line them up, I can assure you that you would be cursing even more if you'd bought dealer pipes, because they'd be just as hard to fit, but to add insult to injury you'd have paid 2-3 times the price. And as for reliability, I haven't seen any dramatic difference. I'm not talking about comparing the neatness of the welds, I'm talking about the "real-world" bottom line - how long they tend to last on the van. Both versions are prone to stress cracks (usually not at the welds). Both rust. Either is likely to last you several years but certainly not forever. Sometimes I've seen an OE pipe fail prematurely, other times a Dansk pipe. Most people on this list are in fact using the Dansk setup, so it's become the defacto norm, because of the comparatively high price of the dealer pipes.

Of course it is your hard earned money, and your van, so anyone who feels that dealer setup is superior should by all means buy it. But bring a large wad of cash. For example, I sell the Dansk 1.9L setup for $299 complete (excluding CAT). The dealer sells theirs for $874. Even if you get a 10% discount off of the dealer price (which is about all most dealers offer, if they discount at all), you will pay $786 - more than 2-1/2 times the price.

I discount all dealer parts, and will be happy to order the factory exhaust from VW for anyone who would like it, at lower prices than your local dealer is likely to offer. Heck, why should I complain? I'd be rich if everyone bought $800-$1000 exhaust systems from me instead of $300-$500 ones! But I can't honestly say that I'd spend the extra money if it were my own van. And in fact I haven't; my Vanagon has a Dansk system on it.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT