Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:12:53 -0700
From:         Robert Lilley <RClilleyjr@COX.NET>
Subject:      Question about AC and the 86 up three speed fan

I have an early 88 Vanagon. With a functional three speed fan. AC system is 86 up but before the running mounting change in mid 88. With the lower temp switch in the radiator.

As I understand fan operation:

Stage 1 on when AC compressor is engaged.

Stage 2 on when the radiator switch kicks in or AC detects higher pressure and tries to reduce the pressure. AC still cools.

Stage 3 on when engine too hot or AC pressure too high, AC clutch stops engaging and AC does not cool.

I have had R-12 in the system before, but while in NC, I do not remember the 2nd stage fan coming on within a minute of starting a cold engine and running just about all the time.

When I had R-12 in the system (before I knocked a fitting loose and lost the R-12) and I lived in NC, I do not remember the 2nd stage fan coming on much when the AC was running, just the first stage. The only time I remember it coming on was when the engine idled for a long time and ran hotter.

I converted to R-12a after a shop put too much oil in the system and blew an o-ring out. I do not remember the second stage fan coming on very much in NC and after I got the engine to run slightly above the LED in the hot weather in AZ (engine was lean). Still the second stage fan did not run when the AC was on.

Well the R-12a leaked out to a pint that it stopped cooling, but the compressor still turned as the clutch engaged.

Is it just the higher ambient temps in here in AZ or is the system charged too much to cause the second speed fan to run all the time but not enough to cause the high pressure switch to cut the compressor out.

The 2nd stage fan is running almost constantly… even when the engine is cold on a first start.

Another thing is I feel the effect of the R-12 on engine power. With the R-12A, I would barely noticed the power loss, but with the R-12 in the system now, there is more of a drag on the engine, when the compressor cuts off, the acceleration is much better. I did not notice this much power loss when I had R-12 in the system before the leak.

I went back to the shop and they said it is normal.

The weight of the Freon can I have was 26lbs and 22lbs after being recharged. The scale goes by ˝ lbs, so up to 41/2 lbs are in the system, minus the amount in the gauge hoses.

Would too high a pressure also cause a greater power loss?

It is cooling much better than the R-12A, but I just want to know if all is OK or am I heading for some trouble.

Or is there another part that has failed and is causing the problem?

Thanks

Robert