Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Sep 2004 12:14:27 -0700
From:         Jim Thompson <jim@KARMANNGHIA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Exhaust Pipe Question

I think one would be hard-pressed to find a less expensive alternative to the kit mentioned in Rich's post. Speaking from first hand experience, both as a former Vanagon parts seller, current owner and installer of the "spaghetti" of pipes on the Wasserboxer, I have yet to find an exhaust shop willing to even consider tackling the Vanagon exhaust system, they either laugh uncontrollably or run screaming hell-bent-for-leather ;-) Funny thing is, this is Southern California where modified exhausts in the craziest sense is KING.

But the quality and fit of today's Dansk pipes are very good, at least they have been for me. Having installed Dansk mfd pipes and an ANSA mfd stock style muffler, I have run this setup for the past 7 years and thousands of miles traveling back and forth across the country with only having to replace the "collector pipe" (from the front and rear header to the catalytic converter)(cracked) and the cat itself and this includes inspecting the exhaust system when I recently (Mar 04) rebuilt the engine on my "Ole Putt". The muffler, with it's age and miles is just now starting to signs of deterioration and will probably be replaced this winter with another ANSA unit.

As any true-blue VW owner that keeps a spare parts stash, I do have spare headers (front & rear, new), a collector pipe (new) and related for when the time comes to replace them. I will admit I've been lucky enough to be in areas where rust isn't a major concern, but I've been mostly living next to beach in Southern California for the past 4 years, exposed daily to the salt air, marine layer, etc.

YMMV

Jim Thompson 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" oldvolkshome@earthlink.net jim@karmannghia.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************** ----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Pournelle" <rich@XCOR.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 4:55 PM Subject: Exhaust Pipe Question