Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Sep 2004 10:42:50 -0700
From:         Vince S <gipsyflies@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Karl's Norcold Fridge

I had completed my research for a good compressor portable fridge/freezer and I decided on the Engel 35 (34 quart) which has the same swing motor (not necessarily the same exact model) as this fridge. I was originally quite impressed with the Coolmatic which uses the Danfoss reciprocal compressor. At the end I really like the simplicity of the swing motor as well as it 35+ years of excellent track record.

BTW, for those who are interested. The swing compressor works like a solenoid but takes advantage of the resonance characteristic of the springs and moving mass. It requires an electronic circuit to keep it in swinging motion. Evidently Engel has created a very efficient drive since early 60's. It appears the drive design is largely unchanged over all these years though the newer units are more efficient.

I can't wait to test it out but the shipping out from Florida is slowed by the recent hurricanes.

- Vince

http://gipsyflies.home.comcast.net 1989 Vanagon GL Camper 1993 Mazda Miata (for sale) 1996 Land Rover Discovery 2005 Mini Cooper S