Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Sep 2004 20:02:07 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Shaft off to replace 1 cv?
Comments: To: SPENCERVW@AOL.COM

I have replaced all four CV's on my van with new ones but it has been a while. As I recall, you can't get to the outside CV's without dropping the inside CV'S first. Even so, it it not that difficult a task to change a CV. I personally have a thing against rebuilt CV.s which are what are used on those shaft assemblies that you can buy. Others disagree with me, but I don't like that fact of oversize bores and bearings in the rebuilt CV's. It changes the geometry. And brand new CV's are cheap enough and easy enough to install. But, like I said, there are many who disagree with me. And that's OK. But not on my van.........!

As for the auto-tranny vans, the two axles shafts are of different lengths. You will be better off to just do your own. You will learn a lot about your van in the process and be better off for it. I changed mine out in my driveway. Nothing so fancy as a garage to work in. And I didn't have a work bench and all that. After removing the shaft, I used a special pair of snap-ring pliers, a wooden block, ball peen hammer and a steel drift (3/8 in. dia) Worked slick as a charm.

BTW, most of those complete CV kits come with a new set of bolts, rubber boot, a tube of lube (the right kind)and the new bearing.

I don't remember just where on the 'net, but someone on this list has a complete set of instructions with pictures on how to do this job. Maybe they will step forward and point the way.

Good Luck,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver