Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:39:15 -0700
From:         Jim Thompson <jim@KARMANNGHIA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Exhaust Pipe Question / No Question for Me

----- Original Message ----- > I installed one of the Dansk systems on my 84 and it > fit perfectly and is still in fine shape after 6 > years. > > Tom

Gee whiz, all I wanted to do tonight was finish scanning a 50s era OEM Ghia Parts Book in the computer and I start glancing thru the mail........

More than ditto for me as well. My exhaust system, all (cat included) but the muffler is Dansk, sourced from Ron at BD, personally picked up from him in June 1999 (I'm sure he remembers saying to me that when I pulled up in "Ole Putt" that I sounded like an aircooled because of all the persistent leaks of a very worn out set of pipes - OE? - dunno, didn't care at the time, just wanted the dang thing to be quiet). Installed shortly after the Maple Grove, PA show that weekend and I've been driving it that way ever since without a peep of a leak. When disassembled from the engine last spring, all it needed was a little cleaning, fresh coat of high-heat paint and I have been driving it since then. The muffler, as previously noted in an earlier post is an Italian made Ansa which I've been using on it since 1997, which I further noted that is just now showing a bit of age and wear and will be replaced with another Ansa muffler soon. Why Ansa? - Just because I've their product on dozens of VWs I've owned since 1962. I've been very satisfied for what I've gotten and paid for, but I guess that's just me, what the heck do I know about parts and the H-E-Double-Toothpick about replacing them, eh?

Ron doesn't sell exhaust parts from Taiwan, Bangladesh, Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan, India, ad nauseum........He wouldn't last 5 minutes in this business if he did. I've personally seen the **crates** of exhaust parts, all high quality he has at the ready to ship at anytime to anyone. And I've been in (and out of) the business for over 25 years, figuring out what's good and what's bad when it comes to replacement parts (But I'm not the end-all, be-all either, I live by the philosophy of learning something new every day). I've known him for the past 8 of those years and he knows that if I think he's blowin' smoke up someone's rear end I'll be all over him (pmail of course) in a heartbeat. He doesn't deserve that kind of statement that's been attributed to him on at least this subject, period.

But I look at it this way - if buying these parts with a Genuine Volkswagen Parts Depot sticker makes you feel better, warm and all gooey inside, by all means, go for it.

Jim Thompson 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" oldvolkshome@earthlink.net jim@karmannghia.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com