Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Sep 2004 20:01:21 -0700
From:         Jim Thompson <jim@KARMANNGHIA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Are parts from the company Meyle any good?
Comments: To: jesse johnson <jjmojo@BLAZENET.NET>

Meyle **use** to be an excellent source of OE manufactured parts supplied to both Volkswagen and the Aftermarket. However, in recent years, they've gone the route of most OE Manufacturers and have shifted production of their items worldwide and not always with good results. I know this because at the Ventura Warehouse Group where I spend most of my time sourcing these parts, I've had to pick and choose through their line to ensure obtaining high quality parts.

As an example, the Vanagon upper and lower control arm bushings we source from Meyle are currently being made in Germany, but what with the world economy going the way it is, they could be made in a third-world country the next time we source them. Another example is almost all Myle ball joints (Type 1, 2, 3, etc.,) are now being made in Turkey of all places. Quality of manufactured feel and finish looks as good as German, but who knows? Febi's moving their production stuff all over the world as well and Bosch has been doing this for years far ahead of the others.

I personally know that Lobro (CV stuff) is moving practically all of their production to China, because Scott (my boss) has been to that particular factory (he repros a lot of K Ghia stuff in China, not trash either, but damn good quality after running through several prototyping sessions with his contacts - has been for over 9 years). I currently run their China-made CVs and Boots on my Westy, partly as a test subject and I've had no problems so far.

Looking over a recent invoice from Myle due into the warehouse in the next week or so shows Vanagon Caliper Kits (ATE) still being made in Germany, Vanagon Bumper End Caps now being made in Italy (I run them on my Westy, no problems), Beetle Brake Drums (ATE) now being made in Italy, not Germany anymore.

YMMV

Jim Thompson 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" oldvolkshome@earthlink.net jim@karmannghia.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************** ----- Original Message ----- From: "jesse johnson" <jjmojo@BLAZENET.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2004 7:51 AM Subject: Are parts from the company Meyle any good?