Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Sep 2004 01:31:41 -0500
From:         Chuck Reisinger <chuckphoto@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Storing the list stuff/more detailed

Although the list seems long, it does fit into the Vanagon easily, and actually have room to spare. Starting at the front: I use 3 waterproof canoe bags on the luggage rack. These contains spare parts & service items, items used only occasionally, like laundry supplies, & some spare foodstuffs you can't get up north, like grits! We may put some clothing up there that is also limited use, like swimsuit or long johns.

The galley cabinet gets most of the foodstuffs, fridge holds about 3 days fresh meals and chilled staples like mayo & jelly. About 2-3 days juices & milk, which I replenish almost daily to chill down.

The cabinet between the closet & fridge has three compartments. Underneath, cleaning supplies, mosquito coils, toilet paper. Above forward, all of the pots & pans. Above aft is curtains, shop manuals and equipment manuals and the 120v AC cord.

Closet hanging stuff (not much and not full). Emergency triangle kit on back wall. Tow strap, emerg. tarp, etc., on closet floor.

Under the seat are tool kit, med kit, 12v air compressor & vacuum, and the Coleman oven, griddle, toaster & our two GI style mess trays to eat off of. Usually room for some spare juice or soft drinks.

We have put a couple of bungee hold-downs on the closet face and back corner of galley cabinet, so we can hold 2 dishpans & a box on the table. One is breads, rolls, & chips. One kitchen stuff like sponges, cutting board, hot pad, and 3rd for whatever.

The back pigeon hole cabinet gets binoculars, film, etc.; shoes; work gear like Wisk broom, LP cartridges, spare oil, flashlight, gray water tank fittings.

Under the closet is room for 3 custom trays. Seldom used stuff like water hose fittings, baling wire, rope, duct tape, glue,

In actual cargo area, I have 4-person picnic table, Coleman stove, lantern, LP heater & 5 gal. water cooler. 2 camp chairs, tripod bag, 2nd cassette carrier, boots, our ONE suitcase/duffel and laundry tub.

This leaves one cassette carrier up front against the passenger seat. Typically, at least when in the boonies, my wife's camera bag is also between the seats. The port-a-john is behind the passenger seat. Against the rear seat, held in place by bungees, is the wooden box that holds trash can, bug spray, etc., and serves as coffee table, step stool and 3rd chair when needed. We use blankets so they & the pillows do sit on half the rear seat. The sheets & bathmat store in a tent type gear hammock slung below the rear cabinet or A/C housing. Total weight does push the maximum GVWR allowed, but is very evenly distributed.

Rear cargo area has plenty of space left over. Cabin area surprising uncluttered despite the port-a-john and wood box.

Perhaps the one thing that many campers never seem to learn, is you can't 'leave stuff out' for convenience. Dishes have to be washed and put away before setting up the bed. If you ain't wearing it, using it right now, or eating it, it goes back away. The bed is put away before the bath, which is put away before breakfast.

Don't even try to carry everything consumable for the trip. Limit yourself to 4 set of clothes (multi-purpose, layering) & skivvies for 8 days. Food for no more than a week. You should plan a break once a week anyway, laundry, maybe a hotel or inn room, hot showers.

Since no one can predict beyond scheduled service what will break, we carry few spares. For car, V-belts & water pump, tire tube in case one can't be fixed with a proper inside patch, and a small assortment of nuts, bolts, washer & wire ends. Food -- heck that's half of the fun, eating what's found locally.

We can set up camp in 15 minutes; it may take 20 to break or stow from the time breakfast dishes are finished.

Cheers...Chuck....