Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:18:13 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon autobody question

>If you have two pieces of metal apart you can use a "weld through" primer >that will allow you to coat the surfaces before spot welding back together. > >This would be better than going back together bare metal.

It would help, certainly, so lone as it really resisted burning during welding. I know that some red-lead primers are extremely heat-resistant, and will burn only at the weld. Of course rust will be free to resume at the welds...

>I believe the vw body metal has a flash plating on it before its asembled.

From what I saw of Golf 1s in Newfoundland, they seemed less rust-prone than most cars.

>I think there are quite a few good rust products like the Por-15 camp that >offer "liquid" converters that would work into seams well.

They all claim to "turn the rust black". That's not what I see when I use them.

>I had thought a bit of rust sealed off from any outside moisture would >"stop" or be severely "slowed" to the point where you could get the service >out of the vehicle anyway.

Yes, slowed is the operative word. However condensation can produce suffiecent surface water to run down the inside surfaces of the vehicle, soaking the seams. And if salt is in there too...

The best solution would be to cut all the seams open, REMOVE the rusty metal and weld new metal in to replace the seams. Then there would be no seams to redevelop rust. Ideally when buying a new vehicle you could do what rallyers do... strip the car down to a naked body and seam-weld them. But who's gonna do that? -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut