Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:54:55 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>
Subject:      ignition switch shenanigans

Over the summer the ignition switch on my '82 Westy started to act up. It seemed like when turned to the final position where it energised the starter, the contacts would "beak" to the ignition circuit.

Some finessing of the key would get it to start. I thought great, new ignition switch needed. I put it off, or course.

Then last week, in town, the van wouldn't start no matter how I turned the key, doh!

Out of desperation I pulled off the steering column cover and pulled off the multi-connector to the ignition switch thinking I could hot wire it.

Before I tried that, I re-connected it and tried again. Voila, the van started with no fuss.

I am guessing that in the ignition switch side of the connector, one of the connectors was loose. I don't know how it is wired in there, whether it is a slid bit of metal from the connector to the actual switch part. In any event the switch has worked perfectly since.

Alistair

'82 westy, diesel converted to gas in '94

http://www.members.shaw.ca/albell/