Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:59:55 -0500
From:         Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Hose clamp pliers; was: Re: 20 hours later and a new water pump
              and a few other things...
Comments: To: Robert Lilley <RClilleyjr@COX.NET>

Robert: What I use is a regular Knipex pliers, Either Alligator or ______ (CRS creeping up on me!). Don't know what a Knipex is? It's like a Channellox, but made in Germany, has a 120 degree vee in each jaw. works terrific on hex nuts, round or rounded off stock, or just about anyplace else. Some Saabs have them as OE in their tool kits! I've also got one with a Stahwille label on it, but green covering on the handles instead of red. I can get EVERY squeeze clamp on a Vanagon with my Knipex. I always re-use the clamps, never had one fail. I guess I've out grown the superior American ones. Incidentally Knipex also makes the correct crimping tool for those one-time crimped clamps. I found one of those at a garage sale. (My brother had to tell me what it was! I saw the name and "Germany" but couldn't figure it out. So, I just straighten them out and use them over. Maybe not the best plan if driving across uninhabited wasteland, but I've had 100% success so far. One other thing to consider when planning to remove the radiator is to replace the cardboard air baffles on each side. If you live where it rains much, they could be in dreadful shape. I just replaced those in my 91 after a body shop LOST them. They were about $25. Go looking in about 5 years, they'll probably be NLA! Al Brase 69 doublecab, Vanagons