Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:30:39 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Home repair for manual window mechanisms

If you've ever had your window hit the bottom of the door with a clunk on your pre-electric-windowed vanagon, and have taken the thing apart and found that the entire operation comes down to tiny plastic ridges that keep the slider affixed to the guiderail, and you didn't want to pay $80 for a new mechanism, read on.

That cross-piece (the slider, the one that the window glass bolts to) can be levered up away from the slide (save the two plastic guides, and if you don't see them, get a flashlight and look inside the door panel for them) so that it can then be moved transversely to escape the tiny plastic ridges should they still exist.

Whether they do or don't, if even one is missing it will allow the nylon fixture to pop off the metal frame that lifts it up and down, allowing your window to fall. But if you examine it closely, you'll see that the round metal button in the center of the lifting assembly (obvious if you have this thing in your hand) has a lip around the top. If you make a metal (I used aluminum) clip about an inch square with a hole the size of the SMALLER diameter of the metal button, and then cut the metal from the outer edge to the hole so you can spring it over the lip of the button and tap it flat and secured by the lip, your window will stay connected to the rail.

The size of the hole must be exact. I cut a slot in a cardboard temple until it would just slide under the lip with no interference, used a small compass to figure the exact radius from that, and transferred that to the metal. I drilled 3/8" (it's closer to 1/2) and dremeled the rest.

Unfortunately, my digital camera was sent back to Canon for repairs, so I don't have pictures. But I would be glad to send a drawing to anyone who needs one.

Jim