Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:07:17 -0700
From:         Amanda Shank <amanda@LAKEEFFECTDOGS.COM>
Subject:      Re: '85 Vanagon power loss

Re: '85 Vanagon power lossThanks for your response! As to my mechanical abilities...let me just say you spoke a great deal of Greek. :) I'm by no means an idiot, just very intimidated in the engine of a vehicle I love so much! I don't see a problem with things like tracing a wire & the simplistic stuff like that. & you were close on the location... we're in Michigan, Grand Rapids area. I've heard about the Bentley manual & plan to pick one up this week. Hopefully that'll help me gain some insight, and confidence. If I'm more knowledgeable on the product I'll be considerably more comfortable with the task at hand. Anyway, I appreciate your reply! And anyone else that may have suggestions! Thanks! ~Amanda Shank amanda@lakeeffectdogs.com

*Announcing your plans is a great way to hear God laugh* ----- Original Message ----- From: AJordans To: Amanda Shank Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 2:39 PM Subject: Re: '85 Vanagon power loss

Sorry to hear that.

I'd investigate the distributor and the Hall effect sender and its wiring and sender mounting system. Also the air hoses and rubber air couplings....and look for any electrical connectors that may have come loose. Recheck the hose that was "fixed". etc...

It's really hard to help not knowing exactly how handy you are.... can you trace down a wire, open your distributor cap, run a voltmeter, find a relay? Your description below almost kept me from responding at all....

You'll need to get access to/buy a Bentley service manual if you plan to do anything real yourself.

Where are you located? based on your e-address, I'd guess western NY, PA, or OH? if you give a general location, maybe someone close by might take up your cause..... the list is a good thing.....

Good luck alj

> From: Amanda Shank <amanda@LAKEEFFECTDOGS.COM> > Reply-To: Amanda Shank <amanda@LAKEEFFECTDOGS.COM> > Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:23:03 -0700 > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: '85 Vanagon power loss > > ...or something like that. It happened slowly. At first it was once in a great