Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:49:45 -0700
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: fridge wont stay lit

While I agree with most of what Craig has said, I differ on some points:

I agree: are you sure the fridge is going out, or is the light going out?? Turn the fridge on high and listen at the flue, look at the flame hole in the fridge, are the fins getting cool??

The 2 propane lines (fridge and stove) split right at the regulator (under the van) so turning the stove on, really (IMHO) does little for the fridge supply of propane. Leaving the propane ON for a day prior to using the fridge, I find DOES help get the propane going to the fridge (this may be just urban legend).

I'm not so sure that "forcing air through the drain tube" is such a good idea, If one puffs to hard, one may disturb the inevitable crud in the base of the burn chamber and some of that could land on the propane orifice and make things worse.

And Craig, taking the fridge out IS very easy. Hardest part is contorting one's body to operate 2 spanners (wrenches) to disconnect the propane line from the back of the fridge. The rest is screw-drivers and socket wrenches.

see burner chamber photos at: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mwstebbins/my_photos

or http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mwstebbins/album?.dir=/8e60

Read about my fridge R&R experience at: http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0308D&L=vanagon&P=R16178 and http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0310A&L=vanagon&P=R15793

read about removing the Sink & Stove at: http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind9909A&L=vanagon&P=R12789