Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:55:01 -0500
From:         James Fritz <jfritz@ALPINECOM.NET>
Subject:      rust under slider door track

Volks, My 89 is an otherwise rust free vehicle. However, I've got a huge problem to be addressed in that I have significant rust that formed under the track for the sliding door. I never noticed early on because it was under the cover panel for the door track. Finally I happened to notice a rusty streak running down the outside of my paint job. Within weeks it started to bubble up the seam. I took off the interior trim panel and sure enough, lots of rust on the inside. It had gotten so bad under the door slider track that there are pinholes through the sheet metal. I imagine every time I washed it I got that fiberglass insulation wet and it just kept going.

I'm going to attack it this winter (hopefully), grind it down, POR15 or some equivalent, prime, paint and hopefully get it by until I can afford to have somebody who really knows what they're doing make it all pretty again.

Anyway, my question: How many of you have seen rust under the sliding door track? Seems like a very bizarre place for rust to start. One caveat: I bought it from a guy in Corpus Christi, Texas. Maybe its ocean salt??? Sure doesn't get that anymore here in Iowa! I garage it every winter.

Thanks!

Jim in Iowa 89 Westy GL 91 Passat Wagon GL 66 Beetle