Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Sep 2004 02:00:14 -0500
From:         Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Oil filters; was:Re: Disappearing Coolant - Head Lean?
Comments: To: dave <dmenche914@HOTMAIL.COM>

Dave: I agree. I use straight weight 40 Shell oil (about$1.25/qt. here) for 9 months of the year. Mobil One 15w-50 in the winter. Filters: German are very good. Some internet site also rated Purolator pretty good. I always dissect the filters on engines for about 10k miles after a rebuild. Scarey how much aluminum swarf I found in the last engine. It has rather poor oil pressure, but runs like a scalded dog. It's got 55k miles on it now, pretty soon I'll find out what I did wrong. Taking apart oil filters, I really see how much difference there is in quality. Unfolded, the German filters have over twice as much filter media as a Fram, and the workmanship is measurably better, too. I took apart an Italian filter with American auto chain name- Motor ___ something- it was quite good, too. Taking apart a filter is really quite easy. I just chuck it up in a vise and usea a very sharp old wood chisel to slice the can right under the rolled seam. Then you can pull the whole thing apart. Pretty enlightening, really! Al Brase 69 doublecab (fullflowed), 91, 87, 82, 80 Vanagons