Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:42:55 -0700
From:         Jere Hawn <jghawn@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: replace starter
Comments: To: The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>

Ron,

The failure rate doesn't seem to be anything above normal. I've for 312,000+ miles on my van and the starter goes out about every 100,000 miles or so; and the alternator goes at about the same rate.

I don't think it is a great bargain!! Will Bus Depot warranty one for me for the next 300,000 miles?

And How am I going to break down in the middle of the night in the rain. If the van is running I don't need a starter and with a manual tranny it is very easy to start; it takes about 3 ft to get it start. And what guarantee is there that a Bus Depot Starter won't fail in the middle of a snowy night two hours from home (up hill the whole way home)?

I understand the game that the mfg are playing but the quality is the same as the starter that came with the van in the first place.

With 4 starters and 5 alternators I guess I have saved about $1,000 in parts.

Sorry Ron; I do not agree with your argument; the numbers just don't add up.

Jere 90 GL/Carat-a-version 88 GL 87 Wolfy (parts van) 69 MB 220D