Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Sep 2004 00:05:55 -0600
From:         Parker Beeson <parker@COREADDICTS.COM>
Subject:      Re: scammin'

As someone who work(ed) in the internet industry for many, many years don't ever believe these "offers". Don't ever believe any email sent with "powered by Outblaze" as they are notorious spammers/scammers.

Never believe anyone claiming to have a shipping company (ridiculous!). Never, EVER believe anyone who wants a Western Union transfer (especially to England or Nigeria). If you see "cashier's check" run for the hills. If you see any sort of wire transfer/paypal etc... run for the hills. Any appeal for political help... run for the hills. Etc.

Bottom line, as common sense dictates, if it's too good to be true... it IS! It's easy to spot these scammers if you just have your radar on.

If you're bored and have time on your hands you can always reply to these people and string them along in the hopes that the time they spend replying back to you is less time they can prey on someone else. It can be quite entertaining for niche markets like a Vanagon to ask them questions like, "Okay so the offer sounds good and I'll sell it to you right now, but look... my ECU and AFM have been acting wonky lately... do you have a local mechanic can replace these? Better yet, tell me what you think of a wonky AFM and the best way to replace it and I will before selling it to you so you can save some money." Etc. etc. :-) You'll no doubt get something back like, "Don't worry about the 'AFM' I'll take care of it when you ship it and wire me the money" for a reply. You can string these people along for weeks because they are so tenacious and stupid. It's actually something of a game amongst internet people to see how long the prey can string along the hunter... often with hilarious results... Google it for thousands of funny examples.

Whole thing makes me ill and yet so many people still fall for it and lose thousands of dollars..... *sigh*. Be careful out there!!!!

Parker '89 Westy "Not For Sale To Nigerians"