Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Sep 2004 01:06:09 -0400
From:         Carl Hansen <carl_hansen@IEEE.ORG>
Subject:      Q: Porsche 914 engine compatibility with Vanagon - YES!!
Comments: To: Larry and Avery <larry_avery.johnson@SYMPATICO.CA>

Indeed the 914 engine is compatible. Many years ago, I built up a 2.0 L 914 engine for my mid 70's Loaf bus. The valves are BIGGER, the Flywheel stronger and has a larger clutch. I had a mid range cam for torque from 2000 to 4000 RPM and had a mild porting done to the heads. We were estimating 140 HP on Premium. Along with the rebuilt Tranny and larger tires, I was getting 25 MPG easily.... and had quite a quick jack rabbit take off. Suprised quite a few people at the stop lights. I used the larger clutch from the 914, and that meant I had to clearance the Transmission a bit to clear the slightly larger flywheel.

I switched to Vanagon 'cause I liked the heat in the winter (it was MinneSnowta), but I always missed the pure power that the that 914 2.0 L engine reliably produced.

In later years, before I switched to Vanagon, I had rebuilt the 2.0L engine with bigger pistons, and lowered the compression so I could run Regular gas. Still the punch and still 25 MPG, but was able to run lower octane.

Ch carl_hansen@ieee.org

'96 GLX Passat Wagon - they were all green - weren't they? '87 944 na - RED! needs head gasket & tires (but what a sweet ride) '89 SyncroBeast Vanagon - parked for the winter - boo hoo '89 16V GTI w/ toasted motor - needs tranny '99 Beetle - red, red, red (SO's)

Absense of Evidence is not Evidence of Absense SETI

We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. Never Be The First To Grow Old! I need a new tool dear! Ch

We ain't wrong, we ain't sorry, and it's probably gonna happen again!

**************** Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:42:41 -0400 From: Larry and Avery <larry_avery.johnson@SYMPATICO.CA> Subject: Q: Porsche 914 engine compatibility with Vanagon

I have a friend with a Porsche 914 with 2.0 L installed and a spare 1.8 = L in pieces. These look like VW engines to my inexperienced eye. Is = there any compatibility between Vanagon air-cooled engines and these = Porsche engines? Is there an ETKA type info source for these = engines/cars? Any help at all is appreciated.

Thanks Larry=20 Please p-mail me at lawrence.johnson@sympatico.ca