Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Sep 2004 22:21:48 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      Re: AT Brake Band Adjustment

The 2nd gear brake band is like a big Omega (like the symbol for ohms.) It's a band that fits around a spinning drum in the transmission. The 2 little "feet" of the Omega are like this: One foot is up against that adjusting bolt you are turning. The other side is connected to a hydraulic piston. When those 2 feet get closer together, it clamps the band down on the drum and makes it stop turning. (This changes the gear ratio via the magic planetary gear system.) So when you adjust the bolt inward, it causes the band to squeeze the drum sooner as the piston (on the other side) actuates. The band is metal with a friction lining like brake or clutch material. I guess the idea of the adjustment is that this material may wear and affect the engagement of the band.

The whole complicated tighten/loosen/tighten routine... I guess it is supposed to get the band fully seated as a reference or starting point for the adjustment.

Edward

At 06:33 PM 9/23/2004, you wrote: >The nice folk at www.vanagonparts.com have a useful online article about >servicing the Vanagon AT. > >http://www.vanagonparts.com/at_service.html > >I'd like to know more about the whys and wherefores of the second brake >band adjustment procedure. Simply put, after loosening the locknut, you >tighten the adjuster screw to 89 inch pounds, then loosen it, then >retighten it to 44 inch pounds, then back it out 2-1/2 turns. Then >secure it in that position using the locknut. > >If anyone can explain what's going on when we do this, I'd like to hear it. > >-- >Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott >71 Type 2: the Wonderbus >84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)" >KG6RCR