Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:27:31 -0600
From:         jimt <wetwesty@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: pretend it's already Friday (was RE: Spare-tire Pan Bolt Spec
Comments: To: Gnarlodious <gnarlodious@EARTHLINK.NET>

On 9/23/04 11:33 PM, "Gnarlodious" <gnarlodious@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:

> Entity Joy Hecht spoke thus: > >> jerry-rigged - doesn't relate to anything, I think. Jerry cans? I don't >> know what they are anyway. > I believe...this is from wartime, the Germans, "Jerrys" who were talented an > makeshift repairs... > > -- Gnarlie > Tubal Litigation: Suing because of a misconception > > From WSU.EDU Although their etymologies are obscure and their meanings overlap, these are two distinct expressions. Something poorly built is ³jerry-built.² Something rigged up temporarily in a makeshift manner with materials at hand, often in an ingenious manner, is ³jury-rigged.² ³Jerry-built² always has a negative connotation, whereas one can be impressed by the cleverness of a jury-rigged solution. Many people cross-pollinate these two expressions and mistakenly say ³jerry-rigged² or ³jury-built.²

English usage... "Jerry-built", which the OED defines as "built unsubstantially of bad materials; built to sell but not last" is attested since 1869, and is said to have arisen in Liverpool. It has been fancifully derived from the Biblical city of Jericho, whose walls came tumbling down; from the prophet Jeremiah, because he foretold decay; from the name of a building firm on the Mersey; from "jelly", signifying instability; from French _jour_="day" (workers paid day-by-day considered less likely to do a good job); and from the Romany _gerry_="excrement". More likely, it is linked to earlier pejorative uses of the name Jerry ("jerrymumble", to knock about, 1721; "Jerry Sneak", a henpecked husband, 1764; "jerry", a cheap beer house, 1861); and it may have been influenced by "jury-rigged".

Also the term Jerry relating to germans did not come about until late 1800s

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com