Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:24:01 -0500
From:         Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      repair gas tank

It seems my 91 GL, which is my newest/ lowest mileage Vanagon, but unfortunately from Pennsylvania., has a gas tank with LOTS of rust in it. After taking it off, it appears to have a LOT of rust on the upper outside. I've got another less rusty tank from my parts 87, but it's got a couple of flattened areas at the back corners (possibly from over zealous SNOW driving with 4 studded snow tires). Does anyone have any experience popping out dents with air pressure. Or is this a good way to get my name on the obit page? This tank has some rust powder in it as well. I was thinking of perhaps rinsing it out with metal prep (phosphoric acid) to at least stop the rust temporarily. OR, does anyone have a nice non-rusty tank for sale? I'm in Iowa. I suppose it would ship by Greyhound; not sure about others- It might be considered a bomb if it were put on an airplane! I think a tank emptied of gasoline is perhaps more explosive than one filled with gas. Al brase 69 doublecab, 91 vanagon, 87 parts car