Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:40:19 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Carrying loose propane tanks?
Comments: To: Aristotle Sagan <killer_jupiter@HOTMAIL.COM>

At 15:07 9/24/2004, Aristotle Sagan wrote: >Pleasant thoughts of rolling mortar shells disguised as 5 lb propane tanks. >Any accident, or heaven forbid an engine fire... > >I drive my propane tanks for the grill exactly two blocks to the filling >station... and feel a bit nervous at that. We did take one of those 3 lb >mini tanks on a 1500 mile camping road trip to Glacier one summer, tied in >securely in the hatch of our Saab 9000T... but then agin, I was young and >dumb.

I think you're being overcautious. The projectile hazard is real and serious in a collision and they should be outside anyway in case of a leak. But anyone who actually uses a Westy must have come to terms with the safety tradeoffs involved in carrying around camping gear, washing machines etc. The BBQ tanks are built and certified to Department of Transportation standards...they really do contemplate transporting them, and we do, in huge numbers. The accident rate would seem to bear them out. Two serious injuries in 500 million tank-years (all types of DOT tanks, not just propane) sounds pretty good to me. And notice how many a 747 carries:

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage," '85 GL "Poor Relation"